Wrapping up the day that was from DJournal.com and elsewhere.
• BMW experience could point way for Tupelo, Toyota – Could Greenville, S.C., provide a blueprint for Tupelo when it comes to creating automaker jobs? I don’t know, but trivia time: Until 1831, Greenville was known as Pleasantburg. Hey, that’s a POSITIVE sounding name.
• Moss Point student dies after school fight – School fights happen all the time, but this one turned tragic, resulting in the death of a 12-year-old boy. Geez. Prayers for all involved.
• Rebels trending toward irrelevant – Parrish Alford‘s column on Ole Miss hoops, if you missed it, noted that following a struggling team isn’t fiscally wise on our part. That’s why I took only one long road trip with MSU last year, and after the game learned a valuable lesson about chasing beer with bourbon.
• The ‘oopsies’ defense – David Parvin‘s attorneys tried to convince the jury that it was very possible for a shotgun to be accidentally fired when the person holding it trips, causing the bullet to kill that person’s wife. That argument is what Parvin is hoping will cause enough reasonable doubt in the jurors’ minds to earn an acquittal. The defense brought in a neurophysiologist from Colorado to explain how such an unlikely thing could happen, and good luck with that.
• Morning blaze – A Mooreville family lost its mobile home in a fire this morning, but thankfully everyone escaped to safety. I can’t imagine the despair that must come with losing your home to a fire.
• State tournament tips off – The MHSAA Basketball State Tournament got underway in Jackson today. The local teams went 2-1: Pine Grove’s girls beat Hinds AHS 51-46 in Class 2A; Baldwyn’s boys beat 70-56 in 2A; and Calhoun City fell to S.V. Marshall 62-58 in 2A. Check for stories in Saturday’s Journal.
• Putin smiles, nods, does what he wants – Russian supreme leader Vladimir Putin (or whatever he’s called) has basically ignored Barack Obama‘s warnings against Russia moving into Crimea. “Whatevs, Barry,” Putin said. At last report, things appear to be getting worse.
• Missing plane – Well, this is no good. Nearly 240 are feared dead after a Malaysia Airlines flight bound for Beijing has literally fallen off the radar.
Best of the blogs
• Readying for the finish (Inside Ole Miss Sports) – Here’s video of Andy Kennedy talking about Saturday’s regular season finale against Vanderbilt. The Rebs could really use a win, which is like saying an Ole Miss frat boy could really use a case of beer.
• The King lives on … in cinema (Biz Buzz) – Elvis Presley and his former wife, Priscilla, are being portrayed in an upcoming movie, although they are not central characters. Elvis will be played by Ron Livingston, the main character from the classic movie “Office Space.” And that gives me an excuse to post this:
Talk it out
• A discussion topic for the weekend: How secure do you think Kennedy’s job is at Ole Miss? (Oh boy I’m stirring things up again.)