Wrapping up that day that was from DJournal.com and elsewhere.
• Freeze ‘not happy’ with Nkemdiche video – Y’all blew up this story today. Ole Miss linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche, who apparently was NOT in Haiti as rumored, is in deep doo-doo with coach Hugh Freeze after being caught on video cursing out people at a beach. This might be a troublesome development for the Rebels if, you know, Robert Nkemdiche weren’t already on the team.
• Moncrief could be first-round pick – I guess folks like NFL Draft stuff. This story from Sunday, which is still getting pinged hard, looks at Ole Miss receiver Donte Moncrief‘s potential draft stock. Will he be fed first-round dough? … Ha … ha.
• Tupelo police headquarters cost rises again; mayor says no – The proposed new TPD digs are supposed to cost a shade over $10 million, but the latest estimates have the price around $11 million. Mayor Jason Shelton has made $10 million the cutoff. Sorry, guys, no gold-plated jacuzzi.
• Lee County vs. Tupelo – The MDEQ has ruled in favor of the North Lee County Water Association, which can begin drilling wells. The water association and Tupelo are tangling over who will service about 500 North Lee customers recently annexed by the city. This is a thrilling confrontation, I’m sure.
• Better pay up – The Mississippi Court of Appeals has confirmed that state Rep. Brian Aldridge is liable for the money his father plundered from a family member’s estate. Man, money can make a mess of families, but I won’t let that happen when I win the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge. ‘Cause I ain’t telling anybody.
• Cooper money OK’d – Cooper Tire looks to have $20 million coming its way to upgrade its Tupelo plant. Psh, that’ll be a drop in the bucket when I win that billion. I’ll spend that much on bacon alone.
• Top teacher – Lynne Mize of Joyner Elementary was named Teacher of the Year for the Tupelo Public School District. Buy that woman a drink.
Best of the Blogs
• More meals on wheels (Biz Buzz) – A second mobile food truck will serve the masses in Tupelo. It’s called Two Dudes Mexican Foods, and it’ll debut Saturday. Hey, remember that “Psych” episode from a couple of weeks ago with all the food trucks? Yeah, the owner of the Mexican truck was murdered.
• Tupelo School Board meets (Education Matters) – Chris Kieffer did some live-bloggin’ from the school board meeting today. Good tidbits in there, from officer re-elections to accountability to synthetic turf for the THS football field.
• Freeze on Nkemdiche (Inside Ole Miss Sports) – You want video of coach Freeze talking about Nkemdiche? Here ya go.
• Russia grows – Crimea has been added to Russia, which makes Vladimir Putin happy but not everyone else. Putin, of course, is like:
• Coptor crash – A news chopper in Seattle crashed and killed two people today. Glad my job as a journalist isn’t that dangerous. RIP.
Talk It Out
So where do y’all think that Malaysian plan wound up?