Wrapping up that day that was from DJournal.com and elsewhere.
• Freeze ‘not happy’ with Nkemdiche video – People are still flocking to this story. Mainly because A) Southerners love football, and B) we also love watching or reading about people actin’ a fool.
• Joyner’s Mize named Tupelo Teacher of the Year – Music instructor Lynne Mize won the school district’s yearly honor. As a former band geek and a lover of music, it’s good to see the arts recognized. Need more of that.
• Cook of the Week: Elaine and Winford Hudson recipes – Y’all love some food, now. This week we featured a couple, which is a little unusual – and very cool.
• MSU NOTEBOOK: Bulldogs returns 17 starters as practice begins – Spring football time in Starkville. It’s the time of year where anything is possible and EVERYTHING IS AWESOME.
• Beware scammers – Some nimrods are posing as bill collectors for TW&L, demanding people make payments lest their electricity get turned off. If I get one of these calls, I’m gonna ask the scammer if I can make the payment in person, and also how does he feel about me paying by throwing a bag of hammers at him.
• Back and forth – Chris Traylor was on the mayor’s Accountability Task Force, then he wasn’t, and now he is again. Let’s hope it doesn’t take another eight months to get this thing together.
• Kennedy staying put – Looks like Ole Miss will extend basketball coach Andy Kennedy‘s contract. Guess that seat isn’t so warm, and it really shouldn’t be. Let’s say you fire Kennedy, then the question is: Who are you gonna get that’s better? I mean, seriously?
• Big show in Tupelo – You’ve gotta check out the photo gallery of Elton John‘s concert tonight at BancorpSouth Arena. Lauren Wood is, as I’ve mentioned previously, a really good photographer.
Best of the Blogs
• Craft beer volume increased again last year (Biz Buzz) – The Tupelo Craft Beer Festival is Saturday, and Dennis Seid notes that craft beer continues to grow in the U.S. It seems we are becoming more discerning beer drinkers, not so content to be persuaded by the very well-done ad campaigns by big domestic brewers, who generally make terrible beer.
• Rebels and the CBI: Here’s why they’re not playing – Basically, Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork is saying the CBI is beneath them. And it should be beneath every SEC team, to be honest.
• Toyota’s gotta pay up – Toyota has to pay $1.2 billion in a settlement with the U.S. government over a cover-up of safety issues. But no executives are being charged. Sounds like they need an Accountability Task Force. Or just start chopping heads at the top.
• Happy early Easter – So this metal scrap dealer buys a nice-looking egg for $14,000. Turns out it’s an authentic Faberge egg worth millions. The dealer got it at a FLEA MARKET, and doesn’t the seller feel stupid. Could’ve gotten off the flea market circuit with that kind of dough.
Talk It Out
Do state employees deserve a pay raise?