Bill McPeters, 89, remains at Crossgates River Oaks Hospital burn unit in Brandon, where he is being treated for second and third degree burns below the waist and on his lower legs, family friend Jay Jones said Friday.
The Corinth Fire Department received a call about 9 a.m. Wednesday that smoke was coming from McPeters’ Polk Street residence, said Fire Chief Rob Price.
Firefighters arrived to find McPeters sitting on a low wall across the street from his home, and after seeing he was injured called for an ambulance. McPeters was transported to Magnolia Regional Health Center, and from there was airlifted to the burn unit in Brandon.
He had been sitting on his front porch smoking when his clothes accidentally caught fire, Jones said.
McPeters had surgery Thursday to treat the burns, which Jones said the doctors found to be not as serious as initially suspected. However, he will remain there undergoing treatment and rehabilitation for at least a couple of weeks before being discharged.
“He was in good spirits, laughing and cutting up as he always does,” Jones said.