Gault elected as officer for state school board association
- NEW ALBANY - New Albany school board member Bobby Gault was elected as the secretary-treasurer of the Mississippi School Board Association during the Fall Leadership Conference held in Jackson during November.
Gault has been a member of the New Albany School Board of Trustees since 1976 and has served on the MSBA board of directors for the past six years. Gault has served as president of the New Albany school board for eight terms.
"Mr. Gault's experience and expertise are invaluable to our district," said New Albany Superintendent Charles Garrett. "His election as secretary-treasurer to the Mississippi School Board Association will serve to honor our district and the city of New Albany."
HealthWorks! to host several holiday events
- TUPELO - HealthWorks! has several holiday-themed activities to help fill the out-of-school days of December. The activities are available at general admission prices.
This week, HealthWorks! will host a scavenger hunt on Monday, "Hula Hoopla" on Tuesday, "Have a Ball" in the Zoom Room on Wednesday and an elf-hat craft project on Thursday. Next week, children can play with snow on Dec. 27, have a "Booty Ball Bash" on Dec. 28, play games with foam noodles on Dec. 29 and have a New Year's celebration on Dec. 30.
Activities will be held throughout the day. HealthWorks! is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. General admission is $5, and members receive free admission for one year.
Shannon Primary students collect cans of food for families
- SHANNON - Kindergarten through second-grade students at Shannon Primary School collected 599 cans of non-perishable food last month for hungry families in the area.
The effort was part of the school's community service project aimed at feeding the hungry. Throughout the month of November, each grade was challenged to bring cans of food. On Dec. 14, the school hosted a ceremony to celebrate the accomplishment, and TV personality-entertainer Kay Bain presented the first grade with a trophy for donating the most cans.
The cans were given to the Nettleton Food Bank, which also serves Shannon.
THS band director Wigginton cited for history of excellence
- TUPELO - Tupelo High School band director Vance Wigginton was presented with the National Band Association's "Citation of Excellence" on Dec. 10 at the Mississippi Bandmaster's State Band Clinic. The NBA Citation of Excellence is awarded to an individual whose ensemble has a history of distinguished accomplishment, and, as an individual has made significant contributions to the field.
The award was presented during the performance of the Tupelo High School Symphonic Band, which was chosen as the high school band representative for the state of Mississippi at this year's state band clinic. Only one high school band is chosen state wide each year for the honor.
ICC schedules 2011 spring open registration
- FULTON - Registration for the 2011 spring semester has been scheduled at both the Fulton and Tupelo campuses of Itawamba Community College.
Day class registration will be from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 4 in the Student Services Building on the Fulton campus and the Multi-Purpose Building on the Tupelo campus.
Evening registration on the Tupelo campus will be held Jan. 4-6 from 5-7 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Building. Evening registration on the Fulton campus will be held on Jan. 4 from 5-7 p.m. in the Admissions office in the Administration Building.
Residence halls will open at 1 p.m. on Jan. 4, and the cafeteria will begin meal service that evening. Day classes begin on Jan. 6, and evening classes start on Jan. 10.
For more information, contact the Fulton campus at (662) 862-8000 or the Tupelo campus at (662) 620-5000.