Wearing a seat belt is the most effective tool available to prevent injuries and fatalities in motor vehicle accidents on the highways.
In order to help motorists plan their travel in advance, MDOT would like to announce the following lane closures across the state.
- Itawamba County: Highway 78 between State Route 25 and State Route 23. Cable Barrier installation will close the inside eastbound lane. (9/2 and 9/3/2011)
- Madison County: There is an on-going project on Highway 49 with head-to-head traffic near Flora, MS.
- Leake County: Possible lane closure on Highway 16 between the Madison County line and State Route 25. (9/3/2011)
- Newton and Neshoba County: Northbound lanes of Highway 19 at the Lauderdale County line to State Route 492.
- Neshoba County: State Route 15 at the Newton County line to the beginning of the four-lane at Philadelphia.
- Hinds County: Permanent closure on Highway 18 at Midway Road.
- Scott County: Rest Area on Interstate 20 at Morton is closed for renovations.
- Scott County: All Westbound lanes on Interstate 20 between State Route 481 and the Newton County line will be closed until December 2011. Expect head-to-head traffic in the eastbound lanes.
- Jefferson Davis County: U.S. Highway 84 between the Highway 13 intersection in Prentiss to the Covington County line, expect head-to-head traffic for approximately five (5) miles due to a reconstruction project.
- Pike County: U.S. Highway 98 from the McComb City Limits to the Walthall County line, expect head-to-head traffic in the eastbound lanes as the reconstruction of the westbound lanes is underway. This project is approximately eight (8) miles in length.
There will be no holiday closures for Districts 2 and 6.