Edward Lashawn Walker, 36, of Aberdeen, was found in a bedroom bathroom at 103 Century Drive in Aberdeen Friday night by Aberdeen firefighters who responded to a call of smoke coming from the house.
Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley said it appears Walker died from smoke inhalation, but an autopsy will be conducted for confirmation and to rule out any foul play.
Gurley said Walker's family reported Walker was staying at the residence with a friend who was not home at the time of the fire.
The 911 call came at 10:20 p.m. Friday.
Medics who responded to the fire attempted to revive Walker in the front yard after he was removed from the burning residence but were unable to.