If mom's not around, I'll do because I can reach the bandages in the medicine cabinet. I also offer encouraging words like, "You'll live."
- "Mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled." - Emily Dickinson.
Sure, I've got my uses around the house, and I'll get my due on Father's Day. Now, it's time to celebrate Mama, the true center of my son and daughter's universe. They shine with her radiance, and she shines with theirs.
- "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." - Rajneesh.
Who can blame the little ragamuffins? Moms are great. At least mine is, and I hope yours is, too. It's comforting to know there's someone in the world who believes you're going to be all right, no matter what the evidence suggests.
- "Every beetle is a gazelle in the eyes of its mother." - Moorish proverb.
Greeting card aisles are awash in happy sentiments for Mother's Day, but there are moms who don't deserve recognition. Sadly, some kids, through no fault of their own, are denied a mother's love.
- "A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." - Anonymous.
In those cases, you hope for the child's sake that a surrogate steps up with love to spare.
A friend recently told me about his days as a "rowdy" teenager. A neighbor found good in him when no one else seemed willing to look.
With her encouragement, he grew into a family man and a successful businessman. He still tears up when he thinks about the woman who did what his own mother did not.
- "An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy." - Spanish proverb.
Luckily, I have a loving mother and a loving stepmother. Both take my phone calls, even though we had our rough patches along the way.
- "My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it." - Mark Twain.
As for my kids, they probably don't know how important their mother is because she's always there, ready to soothe an "ouchie" or celebrate a "Picasso." Someday, they'll think back and realize how blessed their lives have been.
- "I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." - Abraham Lincoln.
M. Scott Morris is a Daily Journal entertainment writer. Contact him at (662) 678-1589 or firstname.lastname@example.org.