Dr. Dan Jones, the university’s vice chancellor for health affairs, who oversees its Jackson campus, will be in Oxford to participate in interviews with campus constituencies. He was named the preferred candidate June 2 to succeed Robert Khayat, who will retire June 30.
Response to Jones’ nomination has been largely enthusiastic. Doug Sullivan-Gonzalez, dean of the Barksdale Honors College, said Jones’ background in medicine will probably attract new students, faculty and funding for the sciences.
“Dan’s published, and he’s applied for grants,” said Sullivan-Gonzalez. “He’s going to help us bring a real thirst for the sciences and help us build up that infrastructure, both professorial and building-wise. … If anyone can do it, Dan Jones can.”
Alice Clark, vice chancellor for research and sponsored programs, chaired the advisory committee that recommended the search’s finalists.
“Dr. Jones … runs a complex institution already that has a very important service outreach,” she said. “He’s a very accomplished educator and scholar, and he’s clearly committed to the overall mission of the university.”
Interview sessions will be held at The Inn at Ole Miss; most will be viewable by Web cast through www.olemiss.edu. A session for alumni, community leaders and the general public is scheduled for 2 to 2:45 p.m.
At 4 p.m. the IHL Board will vote on Jones’ appointment, hosting a media conference immediately afterward. Often mentioned for the position since Khayat’s announcement in early January, Jones is expected easily to win confirmation.
Schedule of Dr. Jones visit
University of Mississippi faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends can let the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning know what they think about preferred chancellor candidate Dr. Dan Jones by attending a Monday (June 15) interview with him at The Inn at Ole Miss. Check the schedule below to learn which session is appropriate for you to attend.
All interviews are in Sections C and D of The Inn's ballroom, except the ones at 8 and 11:30 a.m. All sessions in C and D will be webcast live via UM's Web page.
- 8-8:50 a.m.: Executive Management Council (McMillan Board Room)
- 9-9:45 a.m.: Deans, associate vice chancellors and associate deans, academic and non-academic department chairs, department heads and directors
- 9:45-10:30 a.m.: Alumni Association Board of Directors
- 10:30-11:15 a.m.: Faculty Senate and general faculty
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: UM Foundation Board of Directors, UMAA Foundation officers (Ballroom A)
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: Staff Council, professional and support staff
- 1:15-2:00 p.m.: UM Medical Center faculty and staff (via interactive video link)
- 2-2:45 p.m.: Alumni, community leaders and general public
- 2:45-3:30 p.m.: Undergraduate and graduate students
Those participating in the interviews may complete an evaluation form. The forms will be tabulated and results provided to the Board of Trustees, which meets at 4 p.m. to vote whether Jones becomes UM's next chancellor.
The board will announce its decision at a news conference immediately following its meeting. The news conference also will be webcast live via UM's Web page.
All interview sessions are open to the media.
Click here for video interview of Dan Jones.