I'd prefer a boxing match, where the strongest competitor usually wins.
But the odds are hard to judge in professional wrestling. There's a good guy, who should cruise to victory, and a bad guy, who's holding his own.
- "The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." - Winston Churchill.
We're going to avoid particulars in favor of broad generalities, but the heart of the battle is simple.
- "Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." - Herman Hesse.
Churchill and Hesse both use the phrase "letting go," but their quotes point in different directions.
Today, we're more concerned with Hesse's idea, but there's no denying the value in Churchill's bulldog. There are times in life when toughness and tenacity are absolute essentials.
But let's consider that bulldog: He's got a mouthful of something and he's breathing, but what else is he able to do?
- "It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." - Bruce Lee.
The tough thing about getting rid of the things we don't need is that we thought we needed them at one time. Until recently, modern life has been a race to accumulate as much as possible. Economic reality taught us to subtract, but those lessons haven't been easy, or particularly welcome.
- "I didn't have a hard time making it. I had a hard time letting it go." - Elliott Smith.
Throughout the ages, sages have known and shown that progress comes from leaving one stage of life and entering another.
- "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." - Luke 9:62.
It's a mighty big step to make a complete break with the past, to say "good-bye" to the familiar. When faced with a clear-cut need to move, some still cling to the comfortable.
- "Say you were standing with one foot in the oven and one foot in an ice bucket. According to the percentage people, you would be perfectly comfortable." - Bobby Bragan.
A mental wrestling match could go on forever, or to the grave. It's probably time to let that fight go.
- "I am satisfied that when the Almighty wants me to do or not do any particular thing, He finds a way of letting me know it." - Abraham Lincoln.
M. Scott Morris is a Daily Journal entertainment writer. Contact him at (662) 678-1589 or email@example.com.