Anybody can post scores after the games. NEMS Daily Journal sports editor John L. Pitts brings us scores from the future? Check out some predictions of the games and tell us what you think. It's all in good fun. We wish everybody luck tonight. Click here for scores from the future.
Saltillo (0-0) at Mooreville (0-0)
- This week: Saltillo, a Class 5A school, makes its debut under former Amory head coach Pat Byrd. Mooreville's Troopers, a 3A foe, and the Tigers are Lee County rivals.
- Recent history: Saltillo won last year's game, 17-0.
- Saltillo: Former Tupelo coach James "Bootie" Sloan is the Tigers' offensive coordinator. "He's forgotten more football than I know," Byrd said. ... QB Chase Watson, a junior, is a newcomer under center. ... He will have an experienced OL led by C Wesley Reed and a backfield that feature bruising RB Quad Freeman. ... Look for 285-pound DL Wesley Ragin to play some at TE to help with blocking.
- Mooreville: The Troopers, 6-5 last season, have three-year starter Griff Loftis, who stands 6-foot-4, returning at QB. ... RB Gary Johnson's back after a 1,000-yard season. "Gary will make us better if we hand it to him and throw it to him," coach Kevin Austin said. ... T Quadzing Rogers returns on defense where he recorded 82 tackles last season.
Mantachie (0-0) at TCPS (0-0)
- This week: Tupelo Christian Prep kicks off its second season as an independent in the MHSAA with a home opener. The Eagles will be a 1A division member next year. ... Mantachie's back for its second season under coach Andrew Aldridge.
- Recent history: Mantachie won last year's game, 34-14.
- Mantachie: The Mustangs' ground attack starts with the QB Dalton McMillen. However, the coaches are counting on him to be more of an effective passer this season. ... WR Zack McCoy returns after catching 23 passes for 406 yards last season. ... "We had a great spring offensively. We need to build on that," Aldridge said. ... Freshman NG Cory Powell could be a surprise on defense.
- TCPS: The Eagles, who finished 5-5 last season, are counting on senior QB Will Cockrell to power the offense. He passed for 1,077 yards and 10 TDs last year. ... Head coach Aubrey Boren expects to have 25 to 30 players dressed out for the opener. "Depth will be a challenge," he said. ... Two newcomers at WR - Jager Livingston and Drew Carter - should had firepower.
Baldwyn (0-0) at Kossuth (0-0)
- This week: Baldwyn open last season with five straight losses under first-year head coach Michael Gray. The Bearcats rebounded to reach the state quarterfinals. ... Second-year Kossuth coach Pete Seago is looking to improve on last year's 1-9 finish.
- Recent history: The teams did not play last season.
- Baldwyn: The Bearcats are going with a first-year QB in junior Walker Wildmon. "He's been in our system two years, so he knows the offense," Gray said. ... WRs Reggie Patterson and Seth Swinney give the team two experience receivers. ... IAHS transfer Parrish Huddleston, who stands 6-3, 280, gives the defensive line a boost.
- Kossuth: Seago was an assistant with the Aggies for 16 seasons before taking over as head coach. ... LB Tyler Pittman returns to anchor the defense that returns six starters. ... QB Jay Vanderford played some under center last season as a freshman. His backup will be Marshall Cook. ...
North Panola (0-0) at Ripley (0-0)
- This week: This game was just added to the scheduled in recent weeks. The host Tigers are kicking off 2010 under first-year head coach Grady McCluskey, who was an assistant the last two seasons in Columbus. He coached Franklin County to a 3A state title in 2006.
- Recent history: Ripley defeated North Panola, 42-24, two years ago.
- North Panola: The Class 4A team from Sardis won just four games last season. ... WR Ricky Hunt, who caught 28 passes for 370 yards, is one of the few stat leaders from 2009 returning. ... The Cougars lost their top three tacklers from last season.
- Ripley: The Tigers ran from the Wing T under former coach Mac McCurry, but McCluskey is an I-formation man. "We're going to line up and hit you in the mouth," he says. ... Sophomore Austin Hamilton will start at quarterback, while last year's QB, Acie Vance, will play WR. "They're both pretty athletic," says assistant head coach Quess Hood. "It'll be a whole lot better to get both on the field than to have one of them on the bench." ... Jonathan Carter is the lone returning player on the Tigers' OL.
Capsules compiled by Gene Phelps and John Wilbert