If approved, the boys and girls basketball games would be played next year in Mississippi, likely in Jackson at Jackson State University.
The following year, Mississippi would host the annual football game. A site for the football is to be determined.
The basketball games have been played in Alabama since 2003. The games alternated between the states from 1991 to 2002. Mississippi College hosted five games and Holmes Community College once.
The University of North Alabama in Florence hosted the first six games for its state. They were moved to Pelham, Ala., in 2003 and were played there until last year’s move to Alabama State.
The football game never been played in Mississippi.
An official announcement from the MAC and Alabama High School Athletic Association is expected next week.
• New Site guard Christy Clark is expected to sign in the coming weeks with Blue Mountain College. She had 2 points and 2 assists in Friday’s game.
• Ripley guard Jayla Chills, who started and was named Mississippi’s game MVP, remains undecided, according to her mother, Regina Chills.
“I haven’t made a decision,” Chills said postgame.
• New Albany 5-foot-11 forward Jazmine Spears is undecided on her college choice, Lady Bulldogs coach John Stroud said. He says Mississippi State and a number of community colleges are interested.
• Oxford’s 5-11 forward Alexus Malone signed early with the University of Buffalo. Her Mississippi teammate, Southaven guard JoAnna Smith, has also signed with the New York school.
“I enjoyed the campus and I liked the atmosphere there,” Malone said of her choice.
• On the boys’ front, Booneville’s Kenny Paul Geno, who was a member of Mississippi’s starting five, has attracted interest from Mississippi State, Georgia, Mercer and Middle Tennessee State.
The annual Mississippi North/South All-Star Basketball Games, featuring upcoming seniors, are scheduled for Friday, July 12 at Mississippi College.
Area players on the North rosters are: Alontra Tucker, Ashland; Kim Mallory, Itawamba AHS; Kayla Russell, Pontotoc; Blair Schaefer, Starkville; Daniel Simmons, Biggersville; Jack Nichols, Booneville; Raheem Sorrell, Corinth; Marcus Green, North Pontotoc.
Booneville’s Michael Smith is the North boys coach while Oxford’s Shayne Linzy is the North girls coach.